Jobs and Volunteering
Visitor Services Assistant Kickstart Placement
Responsible to: General Manager
Hours of work: Part time, 30 hours per week. Thursday – Sunday and Bank Holidays and some additional days and evenings.
Location: Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft, Lodge Hill Lane, Ditchling BN6 8SP
Start date: As soon as possible
Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft is a small cultural venue in the Sussex village of Ditchling. It is an independent museum, registered as a charity. The museum reopened in summer 2013 following a major capital redevelopment project part-funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The museum tells the story of the artists and craftspeople who lived and worked in the village. Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft’s permanent collection includes the work of Eric Gill, Frank Brangwyn, David Jones, Ethel Mairet, Charles Knight and Edward Johnston. The Museum receives about 15,000 visitors a year.
Overall Job Purpose
This post will help us maximise the commercial potential of the Museum and ensure we always provide excellent visitor services. As a key member of the museum’s Visitor Services team you will be required to combine retail skills with visitor services. You will work closely with two other Visitor Services Co-ordinators and the Retail Manager, managed by the General Manager, and supported by a team of volunteers.
This is a key customer-facing role. You will be the first point of contact for all visitors, providing them with detailed information and consistently offering a welcoming, friendly and efficient service.
You will take a role in the efficient and profitable running of the museum’s shop and café. A strong drive for achieving sales targets and the confidence to approach visitors and actively sell a wide range of products is essential.
Additionally, you will assist other members of the museum team in the delivery of DMAC events, venue hire and group visits.
Principle tasks and responsibilities
- Learn about the museum’s unique collection and programmes to welcome visitors confidently and knowledgably.
- Conduct ticket sales and ensure that best possible customer service is offered to all visitors and customers.
- Promote and administer Gift Aid uptake.
- Prepare rooms for group bookings and venue hire and order refreshments.
- Undertake surveys and data collection.
- Assist with events.
- Support the Front of House team to ensure the DMAC shop meets its sales targets and always looks inviting.
- Check in shop stock, label items and merchandise them.
- Monitor and dispatch e-commerce sales.
- Conduct café sales.
- Ensure that health and safety and food hygiene rules are rigorously followed at all times and train volunteers and other staff in this.
- Manage wastage and report it efficiently and accurately.
- Support the FOH team to ensure sales targets are met.
- Update target boards and temperature readings and undertake regular Museum safety checks.
- Manage database and Art Tickets systems to keep records up to date.
- Attend and contribute to Front of House team meetings and full staff meetings.
- Liaise effectively with the Front of House team.
Any other reasonable duties as requested by the organisation
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
- Good numeracy skills.
- Confident to deal with the public in a face-to-face situation or by email or phone.
- Good attention to detail and follow through on completing tasks.
- Trustworthy and reliable.
- Able to work well as part of a team.
How to apply:
This placement is part of the Government Kickstart scheme and is only open to unemployed young people 18-25. Applications must come via Job Centre Plus referral. We cannot consider applications which don’t come via this route. Talk to your Job Centre Coach if you want to apply
Why Volunteer With Us?
Make a big difference and join our growing team of volunteers. Volunteers keep our award-winning museum running. They are at the heart of what we do and provide essential support to our organisation. We are looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals to get involved. You may be looking for ways to gain an entry point into an arts organisation, or perhaps you would just like to share your own skills and experience.
Who Can Volunteer?
The running of the museum involves many different skills to suit all working ages. From members of the visitor services team helping to keep the shop, café and admissions process running smoothly, to gallery and learning assistants… even gardening and building maintenance! Ideally you would be able to commit to a certain amount of time on a regular basis – maybe half a day a week or a whole day once a fortnight. We can also offer flexible working for our volunteers.
What We Offer
- Help with career progression and references for your CV
- Great opportunities to socialise and make new friends
- Exclusive invitations to private views and a first look at new exhibitions
- 10% discount in the shop and cafe
- Training in customer service and food hygiene
- Free museum entry year round
If you are interested in volunteering for Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft, please complete the application form or ask for a form at the front desk.
The key roles we are currently recruiting for are:
How to apply
If you are interested in joining our friendly team please complete the application form below and return to us for the attention of Sam Reece to Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft, Lodge Hill Lane, Ditchling, East Sussex, BN6 8SP or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteering - Expression of Interest Form