- This event has passed.
LGBTIQ+ History Club Pride Out-ing
All aboard the LGBTIQ+ History Club Bus!
Sun 31 July 2022
11:30 am - 9:00 pm
Pay What You Can Tickets from £8
We’re delighted to be teaming up with Brighton LGBTIQ+ History Club to host a queer Sussex day trip!
We’ll be taking a journey into the lives of the museum’s co-founder, Hilary Bourne (1909 – 2004) and her partner, Barbara Allen (1903-1972) for this special event marking Brighton Pride.
Hilary and Barbara lived together for nearly 40 years. They ran the highly successful textile studio Bourne & Allen, which produced textiles for the costumes for Ben Hur, the curtains for the Royal Festival Hall and the cushion covers for the UK’s first jet planes. 13 years after Barbara’s tragic death, Hilary co-founded Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft and cemented their shared herstory into the archive, forever.
Queer History Bus Itinery:
- Jump on at Brighton for a queer road trip sing-a-long conducted by Brighton’s very own Rock ‘n’ Roll Roni Tramfrau.
- Disembark in your Sunday best at Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft.
- Prove Sussex lesbians in the past weren’t invisible with Ditchling’s very own headstone sleuth, the much adored, Dr Jane Traies.
- Explore Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft’s exhibitions.
- Join E-J Scott’s Bourne & Allen textile show ‘n’ tell.
- All aboard to Lewes Depot cinema for a G&T and a screening of Ben Hur straight from the celluloid closet. With quiz and commentary from Francesco Ventrella.
- Back on the LGBTIQ+ History Bus for a sleepy ride home to Brighton. Or another sing-a-long. Depends on the numbers of G&T’s.
Schedule for the Day
11.30 Bus pick up from Old Steine, Brighton
12.30 Arrive at Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft
12:30 Museum talks and tour
2:45 Tea/coffee and cake on the lawn and optional walk around the village
4:00 Depart for Lewes Depot Cinema
5:00 Screening of Ben-Hur at Depot followed by drinks/dinner for those who want to stay on
9:00 Bus departs from Lewes Station back to Brighton Old Steine
- If you wish to join the museum tour only, but not the film screening, you can take the train back to Brighton from Lewes Station. We are able to subsidise this train journey.
- For those wishing to attend but not needing to catch the bus from Brighton, please book as usual and message firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you don’t need travel.
- Tickets includes return bus fare, entry to Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft, tea and cake and a ticket to the Ben-Hur screening at Depot. Lunch, drinks and dinner are not included. Please considering bringing a packed lunch or booking a table at one of Ditchling’s cafes or pubs for lunch.
This special event is part of Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft’s Arts Council funded project Different Stories. Find out more about the project on our blog.