On 20 September, it will be exactly five years since Sir Nicholas Serota ceremonially opened Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft after a £2.3m re-development. The project was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, as well as many generous donations by charitable trusts, foundations and individuals.
The reopening heralded an exciting phase for the museum; with a major refurbishment by Adam Richards Architects, a dedicated learning space with an engaging programme of events for adults and children, a new shop and cafe, purpose built collection store, a research room and new displays.
We have overseen so many exciting projects exhibitions, public programmes and events over the last five years, and we are inviting everyone to come and help us celebrate. On Saturday 22 September, we are throwing open the museum doors for free for a day of music and craft activities. Most exciting of all is the final appearance of Morag Myerscough’s Belonging Bandstand, which will be given pride of place on the village and will feature bands and events throughout the day.
We can’t wait to see old and new faces – check the timings below, then come and join in the fun!
CLORE LEARNING SPACE & GARDEN All day
- Handspinning : Demonstration & hands-on opportunity.
- Weaving : Demonstrations (and possibly also hands-on opportunity).
- Stitching : Add your own colourful stitches to a special project.
- Papermaking (morning only) : Have a go at making cotton rag paper dyed with colours from the museum’s dye garden & take home one or more beautiful sheets of coloured and petal filled paper.
- Mark Making with Botanical Inks & Handmade Brushes :
– Sessions at : 11.00 – 11.45am 12.30 – 1.15pm 2.00 – 2.45pm 3.30 – 4.15pm
- Indigo Dyeing : Dye and take home a cotton tote bag, silk hanky or silk scarf in beautiful indigo blue, using shibori patterning techniques (tickets from the museum shop : tote bag: £5, silk hanky £2, silk scarf £7.50)
PRINT GALLERY 2-6pm
Wood Engraving Printing : Keith Petit will be on the Stanhope Press printing a newly commissioned museum wood engraving.
AROUND THE MUSEUM All day
Letterpress Printing : Help to print a letterpress A3 limited edition poster on a Farley Press designed by Tom Bolton (aka Typetom). Tom will also have a pop-up shop.
Secret Collection Store Tours : With the museum’s curator Donna Steele. Wait for a tap on your shoulder.
BELONGING BANDSTAND EVENTS 12.45 – 5.45
12.45-1.15pm : Platapus
1.30-2pm : Derrick Hughes & Ian Chisholm
2.15-2.45 : The Woodville
3.00-3.15 : Spoken Word
3.30-4pm : The Astrelles
4.15-5pm : The Astrelles
5.15-5.45pm : Ashley Knowles and Georgie Fuller